Blossoming Kalla

Kalla 140923

Is it an alien?! Well, most likely :D It is in fact trying to become an SD sized BJD head. I have just started the first rough sculpting in paperclay and will have no idea how this'll turn out. If I manage to go somewhere, I'll post progress photos, but don't hold your breath. Knowing me it'll turn out to be a disaster and I'll just quietly sweep it under the rug. But maybe announcing this whole project publicly in my blog wil give me a kick to not give up right away at first setbacks.


The scetch that you can see in the background there was drawn by me a looong time ago. I have been dreaming/thinking of trying to sculpt my own head from 2011, it appears from the dates in my scetch book :D Back then, I had dubbed this model "Kalla", which is both one of my favourite flowers (regular white lilies are actualy my very favourite) and the nickname for one of my RPG world gods, the God of Everything. Some might also remember that I once had a doll named Kalla, who was based on that same character. This scetch was supposed to be some sort of an upgraded version of the doll. And on the other hand just a face I liked.

Kalla 02 140923

The profile, I actually love a lot. I just hope I won't botch it once I start to fix the front view, which I don't much love... And I'm dreading what the hell I'll actually be doing once the first stage dries and it'll be time to sand it, add more, sand more, rince and repeat.

I have no actual previous sculpting experience, apart from some very small things we did in junior high or high school I think. Anyway, I have never thought myself to be particularly adapt at it, but so far he sculpting had been sort of painless. It's almost like with face-ups. I've not been that good at painting, hating anything that involved brushes. But in the end I turned out to be a good face-up artist that others will repeatedly comission.

Thenagain, having done face-ups, I know what I certainly will want this head to have. I want lovely lips, and no sharp corners around the eyes, to make face-upping it as easy as possible. And doing face-ups has forced me to observe blank BJD heads more closely, so I'm more familiar with the necessary curves and such than I might have otherwise been.

But, we'll see how it turns out. So far the head seems to be a least in porpotion to my Volks heads, which is sort of what I'm going for. And now I'll have to confess that for a while there when I was sculpting it I was thinking I might end up with something MSD sized XD

Kommentit

  1. This is very interesting! I wouldn't dare to even try sculpting, my mind can't handle 3D at all.
    So far it's looking really nice, considering is just the first stage, and I love the sketch!

    The profile is also my favorite part so far

    VastaaPoista
  2. Thanks! I think I'm getting more insight now to 3D while making this. These pics were taken late Tuesday evening and today I continued the project. Now it looks a bit less like an alien, but a lot more like the Phantom of the Opera XD It 's because I had to add a lot of mass to the right side of the face to make it more symmetrical but on the other hand I sanded the left side smooth to see how it might turn out. I need to slightly rethink the creases around the eyes, they need to be mich smoother, but still be there to be enhanced by face-up. I'd also like to do that slight sharp eye crease but dunno if it'll work out. And I'm terrified about starting with the ears XD

    VastaaPoista
  3. Teeheehee, awesome! x3 I think her profile looks really cute too! :3 Shape of the nose is really pretty from the side. Keep going, I want to see how this turns out! x3

    I used to go to this art club and always loved working with clay, so it has popped few times to my head to try sculpting a doll. Too bad I don't think I ever have the time! xD I'm keeping my thumbs up! :3

    VastaaPoista
  4. I'll do my best to finish it :)

    VastaaPoista

Lähetä kommentti

Suositut tekstit