Aesthetics of August 2014: The Swan Song

140807 Lucky Head

Alright, a bit too melodramatic as titles go XD But it suits the little bird that is the comission of month. My first full set of a doll, as Velvet entrusted me with not just face-upping the head, but blushing all the fantasy parts. We'll start with the head though.



Ever since I saw what wig and clothes Velvet was planning for Lucky, I thought that a blue/golden colourway would probably be the best. I still want to do that cute pastel pink face-up on a blue doll, but this was not going to be it. But nevermind, peachy blushing actually looks very nice on this vivid blue.

And for a change, I did the cheeks lower than usual. I often blush the cheeks to 'bleed' from the eyes, but in this case the rounder blushing brings out the cute chubby cheeks this litle guy has.

140807 Lucky Legs and Tail

Then to the birdy parts. I went with the same peach as highlights, with added depth from smoky shades of blue. There are golden 'hairs' around all of them which catch light quite nicely. And I blushed a little black around the claws and to the wing feathers to make the colours more separated.

140807 Lucky Wings

Now with the wings, I was thiking whether it would be best to pu the peach on the outher plumes or in the middle, like in here. In the end I wanted more blue to be showing, so I went with this plan, after Velvet's approval. We also decided on blackened wingtips, which make the wings tand out more, especially against lighter backgrounds. Without the black, the wings were a bit bland... Funny how little things can make a difference.

All in all, I really liked making the blushing, and will eventually be offering it on my comissions. But it takes a bit of devotion, since all relevant parts must be done at the same time, to make sure the colours are even. And I just can't commit to that atm.

Kommentit

  1. Once again, it's far better than I could even imagine it to be. :3 Peach looks so good on the blue resin. It was a good choice to put the blush lower in the cheeks. I didn't really notice it before I read what youhad written, but it brings out the shape of the head nicely. And he has sharp, yet smiley look, just as I wanted my bird prince to have. Thank you! ^__^
    One of my favorite points are those toes with the golden nails and the peach really makes the nails stand out and look "alive" so to say. Like he has more bloodveins near the nails or something. :3 Looks so much better than Soom's blushing~

    The wings look amazingly soft and feathery! <3 It was a good idea to use black at the tips (which makes them look like real feathers because many birds have dark at the tips of their feathers) and peach at the center, leaving way for blue.

    I think this is an outstanding job as the "final" for now, to leave your face-upping on hiatus. It's a good place to start anew when the time comes for that! :3

    (And yet I hope you'll come back with one more face up for your own little harlequin Skoll before you truly start the break ;) )

    VastaaPoista
  2. It's the best thing to hear that the customer is happy :) But if may say so, this set, especially the face itself, is my best so far. It'll make a good example for my future portfolio.

    And of course I'll make an exception for that Skoll. Can't have the poor bugger going blank for long! And besides it is always easier to do my own dolls. I can take as long as I need and don't have to worry about any pictures (so no waiting for opportune light etc.).

    VastaaPoista
  3. I totally agree, this must be one of your best ones! I love the colours, all the parts look amazing and lively! I love how you found the perfect shade of peach for lips and cheeks - it pops up, but at the same time blends in so that it doesn't look unnatural! My personal favourite has to be those legs, specially the toes! I love the way those colours blend together! ;w; Yup, that is definitely good way to enter the hiatus, face-up break well-earned. ^^

    VastaaPoista
  4. I just adore the wing blush! That's so cute! Now I want a little soomian with wings... >_> Was it hard to blush the fantasy parts?

    VastaaPoista
  5. The toes really came together by adding black to the bse of the nails. Before that, the peach and the gold blended together too well, and the gold didn't really show up (which is why I didn't use any golden paint on any peach feathers on the wings). Now the nails really stand out to their best.

    VastaaPoista
  6. It wasn't hard as such, but it does need a bit more innovative ways to hold the pieces while spraying them, so that there is minimal residue from fingers or gloves on the surface. Wooden barbeque sticks and wire were quite useful. The magnetic pieces are pretty easy to do, if the magnets are glued in, since then you can just attach them to a butter knife and you don't have to touch them at all, leaving no smudges. With these, there is unfortunately some smudging at the joints of the wings, but it is mostly covered when the doll is stringed.

    The actual blushing is pretty straightforward and fun, as I love doing blushing in general. You just have to do connected pieces at the same time, to make sure that the shades of colour are the same. I'd love to do more of these, like little hooves with all the hair details and glossing the hoof parts :3 Or maybe a full animal doll at some point.

    VastaaPoista

Lähetä kommentti

Suositut tekstit