20% Cooler, Phase 1

Planning stage 1

>_< I wasn't sure if I wanted to share this project at first, but I'm too excited so to hell with it! A few posts back I hinted in the text and elaborated in the comments that I wanted to make a Raibow Dash (human version) doll. And now it's coming together. I have ordered the first thing I needed: the coolest wig from Spite&Malice.

I tried out different patterns out in Photoshop, taking into account the restrictions of the lenght of the fur. I really would have preferred a wig with a mullet, but alas, can't be done with fur this short. So I went with a longer front instead. Then I wavered between the wig being actually rainbow-coloured and this bluer version. But in the end, the light blue sides do bring more an RD vibe to it. Different to the picture here, Spite&Malice actually has just added emerald green into their colour selection, and I switched that with the older neon green that I picked as the only green option at the time. So now the wig will be even better!

A few weeks and the transformation will begin!

What I still need:
- CrazyKimochi wide neck white shirt with skyblue capri sleeves and the RD cutie mark at the center (will order asap when the shop opens, so if anyone else has any CK items on their wishlist, I can make a group order too)
- a light blue skirt with white slashes and perhaps a rainbow ribbon detail; this I'll make myself, I think I actually have all the fabrics at hand here already)
- magenta eyes (from either ED or Mako, but I need to make sure of the last item first)
- the doll

Now for the doll, I'll start by making this into a 'cosplay' for Yuffie, to see if this is really something I want to keep n my shelf. Yuffie or Fyrd, I dunno (although Fyrd has totally wrong coloured eyebrows). At a later stage I'll be getting a head so that RD can share bodies with Fyrd, who has the best body figure for this doll. And if it all works out and I'm not freaking out about having ten dolls again, I'll get the body from LM.

In the last post I was talking about how Delf Dark Elf Soo fit this character. It still does, but otherwise the head leaves me a bit meh. I like pictures of CP sculpts, but they never really invoke those must-have feelings in me. But LM dolls do that very much. So I'm thinking of making yet another LM sculpt that in promo pictures looks so serene and gentle into something smirking. My current victim of choice is Roselyn :3 I just love that sculpt so much, with the curvy mouth and the large eyes. Roselyn actually takes 18mm eyes, so even if I got magenta eyes for Yuf-Yuf, Roselyn could still wear them. I think I can make it work, but it's so hard to tell when the original character is a cartoon pony and its human version (Equestria Girl) is super-super stylized. Both of those have teeny-tiny mouths with no lips drawn, but if you have paid any attention to my doll collecting, mouths are really important to me!

I'm so thrilled to be putting all of this together. At the same time, I'm so very anxious. I'm way more conscious about this doll than of any other project. RD is a character I don't own, and many recognise. So I worry if others will like what I've done, or if they'll be bashing it... I know it'll still be my doll, and I can do whatever-blaa-blaa-blaa, but I fear for this a lot.

Kommentit

  1. I think your plan sounds great, I'm totally thumbs up for this! Rainbow-Yuffie sounds awesome. It turns out great, I'm sure of it! :3

    VastaaPoista
  2. Yes, I'm also absolutely certain that this will be an awesome doll! ;) I really hope all the best with this project to you, because RD is the best pony if you ask me! ^^

    Don't be too anxious about owning a doll that is not your original character. I have Ritsuka (who doesn't have clothes that suit the character yet... and it's debateble if DikaAAAAA even looks like Ritsuka, but to me he is Ritsuka and that's that. :) And Nene who casual-cosplays Aoba (if she was human, I'm sure the hard-core cosplay-people would give her horrible feedback, but I don't care. :P ) and I love them both to bits.

    I'm also considering some more of my fav characters as dolls (I just saw a *beautiful* Koujaku-bodytattoo-doll-project on Tumblr yesterday! *___* Oh, my, now I really want a Koujaku doll...)

    VastaaPoista
  3. Oh yeah, and I think that in the dolly-world, people are much more forgiving about cosplay-issues or character-likenesses than in the real-life-cosplay world. :) And I'm not talking about "eye-sore dolls", but good-looking ones, that just don't necessarily have all the details *exactly* copied from the original character design.

    I think it's cool that there's some space allowed for "interpretation" of the character, rather than the doll be an exact copy.

    Oh yeah, and I'd love to get something from CrazyKimochi too if you're willing to organize a group-order. ;3
    A question, though: can you order shirts with custom prints, like, can I send CK a pic-file and get a shirt with that printed on it?

    VastaaPoista
  4. Thanks! I'll do my best!

    VastaaPoista
  5. Thank you for the calming words. I totally forgot that you too had a character doll: Ritsuka XD But that just shows how little I should care about what others think about my RD. I think of Ritsuka as your doll, not just a character doll.

    But I still feel a tiny bit anxious about it. I just hope that this my version of RD will go over well :) And I know it is silly, since I don't really care what others think about any of my other dolls. Well, I'd like to know if their eyes are crooked, hair flying and other unintentional things. But you know what I mean :D

    VastaaPoista
  6. Yeah I agree that doll people are more forgiving about dolls cosplaying. We all know just how hard it is to get those perfect items in the perfect scale... If you want something very specific, it just has to be made-to-order and there are much fewer doll-cloth-makers than in the cosplay scene (me thinks).

    And on CK: you can practically choose any image, as long as it is something easily cuttable, with clear edges. You can also choose exactly where will the image be printed. I have chosen lower corners for Eiko's Haruhi and RD hoodies, backside for Yuffie's demon-wings and the traditional center for the black chocobo one. You also have such a wide range of choices for colours for any part of the shirt/hoodie. I still wish she'd bring out soft pastel colours, as in peach and mint, but I can think of so many cool ideas with the colours already offered :D

    VastaaPoista

Lähetä kommentti

Suositut tekstit