On dolls and money

Kimono girl

In this hobby the amount of money spent is often brought up. These dolls are not cheap, neither are the eyes, wigs and clothes. Even if you make your own face-ups, the proper materials cost money. It's not a good hobby for the poor, because everything about this hobby encourages you to just spend more money on it.



Myself, I've been spending increasing amounts on dolls recently, after being on a super-tight doll budget during the summer. My budget wasn't really due to money being tight in general, but because I wanted to show myself (and Valentine) that I could spend on dolls only the amount of money that I got back from them. So before I could buy anythng, I had to earn it by selling old doll things or self-made clothes. Well, after getting Alex and his main things home, I said 'screw this' and blew up my wait-list once again :D I had emptied it! I really did. But then I got Nigel and stuff for him and Fyrd... And now I've got an all-new waiting-for-list. I like to think that it's because of all these winter-events the companies offer at this time of the year. I really should take more advantage of these... I think this is my first time getting a doll from a real event :D

A few days ago, I counted the amount of money I've got sitting on my self in resin form. (Counting Nigel) I've got over 5000€ spent on these darlings. And that's the resin alone. Add the clothes, wigs (which I've got plenty of!) and eyes (getting more and more of these...) to it and... I don't even want to tell. Fortunately, I've earned a significant sum back from my clothes and I've always gotten back what I've paid for a doll I've sold on. The total damage is still below what Valentine paid for his car, and the dolls hold up their value pretty well, so it's not like I feel that it's money burned.

And I want my dolls to look like what they're worth. Or at least like they're worth something, if someone can't wrap their head around a doll worth over a 1000€ :D It saddens me to see a doll (any doll, from any company) whose owner hasn't or hasn't been able to style their doll in a quality suited for a such a piece of art. I don't care whether the doll has a gothic, casual, lolita or whatnot style, only that it's well-executed. If that makes me an elitist, sorry, but that's how I feel. I hope those owners would get their existing dolls the face-up, wig and clothes to make them look as expensive as they are, instead of say, get new dolls.

Sure, I understand that the doll might not be ready instantly after it comes out of the box, I'm not expecting everyone to be like myself (I get the dolls at least somethings they can use right out of the box). But at least try to complete it in a reasonable time :( I want to see your doll pretty! I want you to share your darling resin!

Kommentit

  1. Events are totally worth the wait if you got the patience! And I know people complain when the event is something simple, like a free wig, but frigg ! it's a free wig *O*
    Speaking of events, your Demetri is about to hit -15%...

    VastaaPoista
  2. I saw that too :D Just waiting if the discount applies at my dealer (since they also deal Dikadoll's jointed hands that I want for Alex and/or Nigel). And because I'm not technically getting a basic Demetri (but Demetri head and girl body), I don't think that it counts. But I 'll see if I can do a split of some kind for a basic girl doll if the parts can't get the discount.

    VastaaPoista

Lähetä kommentti

Suositut tekstit