Chez Dominique

This tuesday Valentine took me to Chez Dominique, the only 2 Michelin star restaurant in the country. Lovely evening, review after the break.



Since we were going to see a concert (more of that in next post) the next day, I decided against taking my evening dress and instead wore my new black shiffon coctail dress. Only I hadn't realized it was just that short as it was... So I was pretty nervous about dress code etiquette arriving to the lobby, but my worries soon dissipated as the couple at the next table wore worn hoodies, like I'd expect to see at a student diner near Faculty of Humanities.

Never mind that, the surroundings were nicely decorated, the waiters professional and I actually met my first sommelier. I must confess I did expect them to be more on the stiff side but actually the service was fluid and we quickly relaxed.

Speaking of the sommelier: the wines were great! To the last minute I thought the wine package would be a waste of money, but I was proven wrong. We started out with champange which is the first glass of bubbly I could have taken another glass of. The we got some Grande Cru and Riesling on the sweet side and more bitter glasses of I-forgot-what with the main courses. Loving Riesling even more after this!

And on the courses, we got the seven course menus, but ended up getting 13 different dishes. Some more succesful than others. Now, I'm not denying I'm not just a bit picky with my food but actually quite a choosy eater. We did however inform them way beforehand that I don't eat any seafood, turkey or mushrooms (truffels being an exeption). But when we got these small 'favors from the kitchen' or apetizers, they in my opinion took it a bit too easy and unimaginitevely. As in, Valentine got a spoonful of shellfish paste and I got tomato seeds with dragon leaves or they served us Fish'nChips only mine without the fish croquette. So I got two chips and some leaves.

They did way better on the main courses though. Valentine got one seafood main course when mine was pork cheek. And they topped it all off with excellent desserts, ending with a selection of 'candies' (pistachio macaron, hazelnut taffee, dark liqorice kiss, and Pina Colada marshmellow).

All in all we had a very good three hours and I don't regret the experience. But I wouldn't go there again as I don't think it was just worth that much money. The cost was in no way even comparable to other fine restaurants. But for that one special evening when you can spend money on good food and especially good wine, go to Chez Dominique! :)

Kommentit

Suositut tekstit