Soft and Fluffy

November Milki 03

Milki sure took turn for the softer once I made this wig for her. It looks so much like the fiber wig she used to have but still so different... Or am I imagining it...?

November Milki 02

Anyway, I got around ordering some alpaca locks from Etsy. I found some that was affordable, since it was unwashed. So once it arrived as this ball of hair, I had to separate it into locks, then wash them (gently in lukewarm water with dishwasher soap), rinse and let dry. For this black hair one wash was enough. But I think that the caramel coloured one would have benefited from another wash. I have yet nothing to show from that caramel, since my first try (to make Alex a new wig) was an epic fail that ended up in the trash and the second try still needs more work on the parting. I also made that one very much fluffier than this black one, so it is kinda hilarious anyway XD

November Milki 01

All in all though, I really like these alpaca wigs. I can't get enough of petting Milki's hair, sine it is so soft and fluffy! I just need more practise with the actual wig-making, so that the quality would be somewhat consistent. And then it is all about finding the right locks... I want to make a wig for Eiko, but I first need to find the right chocolate brown in the right length. Combining the two is very demanding, I tell you! For example I found the perfect colour combination to make a wig for Other-Nuu, but it is far too long... As in 20cm, when I need about 12cm. :D And I would feel such a sting to be cutting away so much of that beautiful hair... :(

Also, since I make these wigs with a 'hard cap', I'm quickly running out of dolls to make these for :D Hard cap means that the cap is fitted just for the doll in question and that it doesn't stretch at all. So making these as comissions or for sale is pretty much out since I couldn't guarantee any fit for anyone's doll. That and the fact that since the cap doesn't bend, it is difficult to ship. But I'm envisioning that soon my Teenies are going to have a massive collection of fluffy wigs XD

Kommentit

  1. Oh that wig looks awesome!! ? I hope you'll find the right locks for other wigs you have planned~

    VastaaPoista
  2. Thanks! I've loved the look of alpaca wigs that other hobbyists have done, and I still do love it. It looks so much more like real hair, since the hair is so much thinner than synthetic fiber. To touch it is more like baby hair though :D

    I really hope to find that chocolate hair for Eiko, but I'm also keeping an eye out for lovely pastel hairs :3 I know some buy blond hair and colour it themselves, but I'm not confident enough with handling/washing alpaca wool just yet to do that. So ready-coloured it will be.

    VastaaPoista
  3. That's a nice wig! You could try dying the hair yourself to make the perfect chocolate color, but I'm guessing that dying would be a mess. I'd love to do pastel color wigs with alpaca, and I also have a special style in my mind I'd love to do for a future doll, but I don't know If I'll ever try =_=... they look so pretty though.
    And practice makes perfect so I'm pretty sure soon you will be an expert in wig making :)!

    VastaaPoista
  4. I encourage you to try out alpaca! It's really fun/relaxing to glue the hair in place. Time just flies by. And you're right about the practice. I certainly am learning with trial and error here.

    VastaaPoista

Lähetä kommentti

Suositut tekstit