Another one bites the dust



du-du dun dun dun Another one bites the dust-ah! But this post actually has no relation to Queen. This is about the anime series Another that I read about on DoD. As I understand, it was first a novel, then made into this 12 episode anime. And as I lay home one day, I watched it in one go.



It is a horror story, which I have rarely seen in anime, and as such, quite well done. There is suspension and just enough more clues in every episode so that none of the episodes feel like a filler. There are even BJDs in it, but this time not as the actual source of the horror ;)

The story is about a boy Kouichi who has transferred to the senior year of middle school and quickly learns that there are certain rumours or legends surrounging that class 9-3. And he meets a girl named Misaki, who is in the same class, except no one else seems to notice her at all. And let's say that the subject I chose to this post is actually quite telling... If you are queasy about blood splatter, this is not for you.

The plot revelations and the twists are also well thought-out. There are clues alright, but they did mostly come as a surprise to me. The ending twist got me thinking really hard if it did actually fit the previous given parametrs, but yes it did. Just enough stretching it, so that it couldn't be too obvious, but just enough plausible.

The story focuses very much on Kouichi and Misaki, and the secondary characters don't get much screen time, which is a shame. I would have liked for them to be a bit more explored, so that their deaths would have been a bit more meaningful. But I'm glad that both the main characters are nice enough, neither really never frustrated me (like that bloody Eren). Misaki is actually now my favourite anime girl with an eye-patch. Her design with that loose strand of hair is just so much nicer than Rikka's. All characters are designed nicely though, with enough variation. The animation is decent, with good highlights here and there, but mostly pretty standard.

The only complaint I truly have, is the last two episodes. And just the one detal about there being a burning building, but the characters that know about it dont seem that paniced about it and just go upstairs to chat a bit. And then chat  a bit more... I was like aaargh! Get out of there already! You could have had all the chasing and running in the surrounding woods or something. The actual climax was nice and all, but damn why do these kids not understand the dangers of fire?! And the bloody teacher just let one of them go back inside! Just: aargh!

Anyway, if you have a spare 6 hours or so, and like horror, then I recommend this series. Not really one-of-a-kind spectacular, but a very good horror anime.

Kommentit

Suositut tekstit