Eye Sore


Well, on the pain of sounding cocky, no, none of my dolls are really eye sores. Oversaturated with pink, frills and cuteness, yes, but not really eye poison. However, this was the best eye-related pun I could come up with, so bear with me.

Of my current crew I have two dolls with eye issues: Milki and Nigel. Milki was a problem, since I didn't have a pair for her at home when she got here. Then I tested out all the eyes I had home and found some that were good, or even very good, but perhaps not perfect... So, I just got my eyes from Mako a this week. And most of them were for Milki, in an effort to get at least one suitable pair for her. Well, now I've got a dilemma... I can't decide!



I first tried on the mint eyes, but thought straight away that no, they wouldn't work. Then with these pink ones (AM-004), they looked very sweet from the beginning. Perhaps I would have preferred them to be a bit more of a broken pink shade, like 'sakura' colour, but still, a very close colour to what I wanted for pink. These are a bit darker than the Soom silicone eyes I have, but as it is with urethanes, loads prettier.

Ah, btw, I could say that I'm really pleased with all the eyes I got from Mako. All of the ones I got, have a nice glitter and good clarity. They are quite low-dome, which makes it easier to fit them into the eye wells of my dolls. I'll definitely be ordering a few more pairs in the future! Deary got herself a pair that I think would look very good in Hippu (maybe get them pupiless though) and Velvet got a pair of AM-020, that I was thinking of getting for Yuffie and now after seeing them irl, I know I have to get them for Yuf XD They are just the right shade of lavender.

But look at them! They look fierce! These are AS-009. funnily they look to be of two different shades though... One more blue and the other more green. I don't know if it's the way the eyes are put there, is it the light or are they really like that. Anyway I like these. At first I thought the colour was a bit off on her grey skin, but now I'm starting to think that they compliment her pink clothes quite nicely. Gah, the decisions!

Although, I'm now starting to really think about a tan Teenie, with white hair and these mint eyes ;)

And I also got Milki a pair of 12mm eyes from Mako, in what I thought to be silvery, but in fact are a very peculiar shade... The colour is nice in itself, just not good for Milki, and the 12mm were way too small for her. I had heard that Mako has slightly smaller irises than most companies and it's definitely true for the 12mm. I need to do a proper comparison with my ED and DF 12mm eyes, but they definitely seem smaller. However, the 14mm doesn't seem to be that different from my other 14mm eyes... Which brings me to the other problem. Nigel.

Now. I need pure ice blue eyes for Nigel. But I also need them to be the right size. Soom states that Dia uses 14mm eyes, but they tend to look too big imo. Thenagain, 12mm might gap. And as he has these more realistic, smaller eyes, that look downright squinty when compared to my other dolls (Yuffie and your boggly eyes, I'm looking at you!). So I need eyes that fill them just right.

Mako doesn't have the right shade of blue I need, at the moment. But I tried some eyes on Nigel nonetheless, to see what size would be right.

First up 12mm:

I know, that stare, right? These eyes have their colour altered to show a somewhat icy blue and damn do I want eyes of this colour so bad!

And then a similar photoshopping with 14mm eyes:

I'd really like to have eyes right between these two XD The 14mm are just a bit too big, the 12mm might be a bit small. But if it comes down to these two, maybe the 12mm after all... The 14mm actually fill his eye wells too much, not leaving much room for positioning. I might have to give it another try though, because if I could position these eyes so that they are half-hidden by the upper lid, then maybe we would have a winner.

And would you like to see what Nikki really looked like with these eyes, sans Photoshop? Well, not really unedited, but I didn't touch the eyes much :D This is Nigel with those AS-009 that Milki wants:

Way too dark and green for him. It doesn't look bad, as such, and I do have that weakness for tourquoise, but it just isn't Nigel. He ends up looking too soft. Now, picture Matt with this shade? ;D (Actually, I picture Matt with a more stark green shade, but these would work too. Since I have that weakness and everything...)

And here he is with IB-021:

These are the peculiar shade of silver I talked about earlier. I did give the eyes a bit of dodge tool, to make them shinier. I don't know if you can see from the photo, but these eyes are sparkling silver in the middle, but the rim has a somewhat purple shade. Actually in photos, they don't look too bad on Nigel. Irl, with the terrible indoor lighting that we have, they look way too dark. And I just can't have grey eyes for Nikki, he'd be too damn monochrome. He needs that tiny speck of colour from his blue eyes.

So, now I just need Mako to start producing these perfectly light blue eyes, in 13mm XD Girl can dream, right?

Kommentit

  1. Wow, both "candidates" for Milki's new eyes look really pretty... maybe I'm more drawn towards the pink eyes but the mint-colored ones work well too. Depends on if you want to give her a softer look (pink) or a more stern, serious expression (mint). :3

    It's so hard to find the *perfect* eyes for dolls... Glad to hear that the Mako eyes are of the more low-domed type since some of my dolls also have very narrow eyewells that are a pain to find fitting eyes for *I'm glaring at you, my Dikadoll-guys*

    VastaaPoista
  2. It also has so much to do with how the eyes are positioned, and this is where the lower dome really comes into effect. I actually put the pink ones back into Milki but this time positioned them more like the mint ones here, some of the iris under the upper lid. She now looks more fierce with them too, so I'm guessing I'll go with the pink ones in the end. Too bad I won't get pictures until Sunday...

    The mint ones on the other hand I put back into Nikki, and positioned them likewise. And I think that 14mm is the way to go there. I still need to see it in photos, but at least to me it looks like the 14mm positioned higher still doesn't gap and makes the eyes look just small enough. And as an added bonus he can then look softer with the eyes lower (more iris showing, giving puppy eyes) and colder with eyes higher. Now I would just need the right bloody colour!

    But I'll definitely be ordering more Makos in the future, ice blue eyes or not. I want to see if there'd be a softer pink in their catalogue and Yuffie is now demanding another pair for herself >_< I think I have to get her 20mm though, since from ED I prefer the larger iris type eyes for her. Or maybe even 22mm... I would need to know exactly how big are the irises in those larger eyes.

    VastaaPoista

Lähetä kommentti

Suositut tekstit