Merry Yule!



I'm one of those people who have a hard time naming this seasonal holiday. I am not a Christian, so I opt out of any religious aspect of the holiday anyway, reserving these days to just hang out with my family all huddled together, exchange presents to boost economy (and because giving and receiving gifts is fun) and stuff my face with nuts and chocolates. I have no quarrel with the Finnish term 'joulu', since it derives from the old pagan holiday (which is what I'm celebrating anyway), but Christmas... For a while, I was using X-as, but it just started to look way too 90's, since we used that version back in grade school since it was hip with the X and everything XD Not really grapsing what it stood for... But now, maybe I'll just go with yule. It's the same stem as joulu anyways, and I've seen it used around. Definitely tops X-mas.



I also don't really like the traditional yule colours, red and green. Well, not that I don't find the colours pretty by themselves. They just don't go with my decorations... So a few years back, I bought myself this cute miniature tree, all white. A bit too silvery cool white, but it'll do untill I locate an ivory-white one. I've also been buying decorations few at a time and maybe next year I'll be able to do a theme-coloured tree, with all silver-whites. I'll keep on stocking on those gold/brown ones as well, and the pastels ones, so that I can have a 'different' tree each year.

Aaand you can see my yule-dressed Teenies as well. No red-green there either XD Also, a very lousy photo, just showing oh-so-painfully-clearly that I need those indoor lights...  Or reflectors.

Anyway, I'm now off to my yearly round trip of relatives! Have a very merry yule and plenty of chocolates! <3

Kommentit

Suositut tekstit