Highly Speculative

Hair angel

Damn this guy has a lot of hair...

First off, I got a promotion! Only a temporary one for three months though, but I'm hoping they'll be needing me permanently come spring. So in celebration, I went on a shopping spree! It's still October! :D



First off I bought two new loli skirts second hand. I finally found a 'decent' priced Chess Chocolate skirt from egl sales group. And then I went to see what Closet Child had to offer and found this very cute Baby skirt with a bear print. And now I'm just waiting for the first to be shipped from Moscow and the second to be shipped Japan. Getting those confirmations were a joy on their own, since you never know if someone has snatched them up just before you, since there usually is just one piece.

On non-clothing section, I bought Rayman Legends, since despite my best efforts to suggest it, Valentine got me something completely different for last Saturday. Those were good presents as well, don't get me wrong (I got that long coveted tripod for my camera and a recipe book for cupcakes :D ). This is just as good a game than Rayman Origins. There's so much to do, and this time it's not as linear as Origins. To top off my good mood that has kept me grinning for the past few days, I went to meet Deary yesterday. We went to take photos of Saburou (one pic above, rest when I have energy to edit more) and Josefina in the chilling sunset and drank the sweetest vanilla caramel tea. We also talked alot about RPG, which brings me to the topic of the day.

I've been thinking a lot of the differences between tabletop gamers and forum gamers. Not saying that there aren't also differences among representatives of each group. Neither is this meant to be an all-clearing thesis. It's just that the two forum gamers I know and the rest I've heard about second hand, all seem to have the same difficulties adapting to tabletop games.

Now I have one remark. When talking with Dear about what her character intends to do in our D&D campaign, she brought up that she hadn't thought about her character's background that much (and hence she hadn't thought about her motivations and such). It only occured to me later how odd this sounded to me. I had meant the question as "your character has exprienced these events in this campaign, where do you want to go or what do you intend to investigate as first priority if the opportunity comes" and I hadn't thought at all that the character's backgroud prior to the campaign would have much say in this.

Then I realised how vast a difference there is in background detail in forum and tabletop games. Now I haven't played in any forum RPGs, but what I've gathered is that it is the norm to create a detailed, multilayered background for your character. Deary even once told me about this one forum-master, who nitpicked about minor inconsistencies in the backstories and whined if they weren't detailed enough. And this is something I'm really not used to.

When we begin a tabletop game, I can sum up my character in one sentence. Like Taffee is "a goldlusting young girl" or Bory was "an elven slave with a bigass sword". Even my most loved/used NPCs have pretty vague backgrounds. Emma started out as "an easygoing helicopter pilot who has a robotic arm and a semi-obsession about finding Vainary". Nigel is "a grumpy know-it-all". Backgrounds are more important in forums, where they provide the flavour of the game and possible story-hooks to exploit. But I think that in tabletop gaming, they can actually be a hindrance.

Like, imo, my two forum gamers have evolved a lot as players in the D&D game, as opposed to the DG campaign. I credit a lot of it to the fact that since they weren't given the option to think beforehand what kind of a character they were going to play, they were actually more open to the whole campaign. The one major problem I had in DG was that since their characters were developed in such detail in beforehand and off-game, the characters were very rigid and unable to go with the scene, sometimes even unable to act with other characters due to restraints the players had put on the characters. And since tabletop games are all about interaction, it's quite a big obstacle to put in front of oneself. Not saying that some restraints and obstacles can't be fun, of course they bring flavour to tabletop games as well, but if it hinders the entire point of the game, then we have a problem. If you play a superhero, who doesn't want to leave home, then we can't have that much of a superhero game ;)

So my opinion is that long time serious forum gamers haven't realised the benefits of figuring out backgrounds on the go when it comes to tabletop gaming. When you only start with a vague character concept and add things when they seem appropriate in the current game scenario, your character is pretty much bound to go along with the rest of the group and the campaign. If you have decided beforehand that your character is x, y and z nevermind how well they go with the overall campaign (as an extreme example lets say a character is afraid of water in an aquatic campaign or the above superhero thing), then it's like asking everyone else to adapt to that specific character, campaign and GM included.

I've talked about it a lot, but tabletops are mostly about compromising. Players compromising with each other, so that their different characters can work as a cohesive group (on the premise that the campaign is about a group of characters, and not like everyone competing against each other, you get my drift here...). Some conflict between personalities is interesting, as long as it's not a big wedge between the characters. Then players make compromises with the GM, so that players follow the generic scenario the GM has laid out and GM takes into account the wants of players and does not just lead them like a monorail.

Of course there's more to 'good' roleplaying than just flexible backgrounds :D But that's more about roleplaying vs. acting, or experience in RPGs sort of thing.

Kommentit

  1. Players in tabletop games should have as much equality and 'turns' as in forum games. If the GM dismisses players, that's on her. In this case me. I try to give each player an equal opportunity to give opinion and input to what the group wants to do. I know I'm not perfect and it's something I need to work on.

    But, I'm not saying that forum game backgrounds wouldn't take the campaign into account or that the characters wouldn't evolve during the game. I'm just saying that it might be a lot more rigid. Like you said, you are bulding a world together. That means, that you can adapt the world to you. And since it is usually more story driven, character conflicts are great opportunities, like in tv shows or movies, which would be pretty dull if everyone got along and only worked together to achieve the main goal. There isn't a movie of a group of people where one isn't a betrayer or there's some major fight along the way. And it makes good entertainment.

    But in tabletop, you have to consider whether the conflict is more a nuisance than a good thing. Galeya stealing loot makes other party members distrust her which is more of a hindrance than her sticking to character brings good roleplaying into the game. Or in DG, Tico and Geoffrey not being able to decide whether to go to a party or not is more a nuisance since it didn't go forward at all. And neither of these situations were about stats. Even in full freeform tabletop game, without exp and leveling to think of, it's the same.

    I have understood full well that these are two very different worlds. I'm also not saying that one or the other is better than the other. If something like that came across, then I apologise. I'm writing from full tabletop gamer point of view, since I can't take the other stand. I would have just as much difficulty adapting to forum games. I thought about bringing up other points about forum vs. tabletop but in the end wanted to write about them in an other post.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Either I can't read between the lines properly or there's a big misunderstanding here.

    What I've tried to say all along, is that you can't be selfish on a tabletop game. (Yes, yes, not unless that's the main theme in the campaign etc.) I want the game to have continuity and that involves sacrifices. But sacrificing your character to save others is not always the best sacrifice to be made. It might actually be the worse blow to the group as a whole. Like in D&D you have other spellcasters, but so far you only have one character who can open locks. If you want to discuss certain specific scenes of the BP campaign, we can do it, but preferably off my blog comments since this'd be so much easier in person.

    You seem to take my post all too literally, and only reflect it on this one campaign of D&D, which is a game system which greatly emphasises characters as numbers. The way you write about points, I assume you mean money as well, and in D&D it is just as important to keep wealth as well as exp in balance. Since in this game system, an off-balanced group might not be able to achieve the end of the campaign. But D&D with it's strict levels and such is not the only type of tabletop game. I tried to tell this before, but all of this still applies to fully freeform rpgs, that would only last for one session and no one gets any rewards except finishing the game one way or the other.

    Where you do have a point, is the pace of the game. In tabletop, you can't wait for days or hours to make your move. You need to make them in the present. I know this proves to je a challenge to you and I'll do my best to accomodate that but there's only so much I can do about it.

    It doesn't have to mean short-sightness though. I've been inquiring from a lot of my players where do their characters want to go with the game. And what do they think of the current situation and the things that go on in the background. It'd be great if for in example in BP you guys actually thought about how are you going to go about finding the missing weapons and/or Aygr, or what is your stand on the pirate situation. But even if you figure it out, you still must be able to be flexible and adapt if the situation changes to a one that you guys didn't anticipate.

    VastaaPoista
  3. Yeah, selfish was a bit wrong word. xDDD

    Basically,what I try to say, that characters aren't private property in forum games. Not in the same way as they seem to be in tabletops. :3 It turns the table around.

    VastaaPoista
  4. I think that the both of you have pretty much just undrlined my main point in this post, whetyer you notice it or not. :)

    VastaaPoista

Lähetä kommentti

Suositut tekstit