Quality and Quantity

Peek


So yesterday I had to use a phone app photo as a blog illustration. Since I got my DSLR I haven't used doll photos that were taken with a phone camera, although before that I had nothing else. I went straight from a phone camera to a Canon DSLR, not even trying out a point-and-shoot camera in between... I'm not really one to do middle-ways... But back then, I had not even heard of Flickr, let alone their phone app.



Although, I got Flickr pretty early on in the game. When I first started out with dolls and doll photography, I uploaded my photos to my own server space here to my domain. But I quickly noticed how much space I needed and how much bandwidth they ate, so I switched over to Flickr, since I much preferred their interface and connectivity over i.e Photobucket. I've been a Flickr pro for about three years now and I just noticed that I have over 1000 pictures uploaded there :D

I really should do some cleaning up there, to delete the older, not-so-good photos. Not that it really matters, the price is the same no matter how many pictures I've got, but I have this urge to clean up the bad, to hide that I was terrible at the beginning. Sad, I know. Sometimes it's nice to look back and see how much I've improved over the years, but sometimes I just gringe when I look at them. And yeah, the photos I took with my camera phone would be the first ones to go. They are not well focused, badly lit, grainy and just look cheap. They don't really show how good my dolls really look.

So why did I upload a camera phone photo yesterday? Somehow I seem to have gotten the idea into my head, that if I take a photo with the Flickr app and especially if I apply some funny filter to it, it doesn't count :D It just looks like a 'blogging photo' and it's not supposed to be a masterpiece. Sure, I still try to pay attention to composition and such, but a bit of blur, grain, off-colours? Don't mind as much. And it's just so much easier than playing around with camera cords, photoshop and all that. Just open the app, click with the camera, add filter, add title/tags/etc. and voila! A photo to use for blog illustration.

I wouldn't let go of my DSLR though. I love the clarity it gives to photos. And I want to master that bokeh at some point! But when in urgent need, I have an alternative solution.

So which do you prefer? The app photo below, or the DSLR photo above? ;)

Kommentit

  1. DSLR is prettier. <3 Though there is nothing terribly wrong with other photo too!

    My hubby has a same urge to destroy his earlier drawings, so I guess it's pretty common. :D I mean, who wouldn't like to good? :3 (I in the another hand have bad habit of hoarding things for sentimental values... <.<; That's not very smart either.)

    VastaaPoista
  2. I sill keep the 'highlights' of my previous work, but at least with drawings I at times throw out the rough sketches that never got anywhere etc. I tend to hold onto any writing I do though, but it might be because they take no actual space, except in my hard-drives. But since I'm paranoid about there being something useable in the early writings, I just can't delete them. Like I have all the different draft versions of LeBrant still saved :D

    But I have to admit, I'm pretty tempted at the Retry-meme going on our local forum. As in take an old photo and redo it, and show just how much better you can do it this time around. Valentine is working late shift this week so I might have a good opportunity to give it a try. Ha, maybe I'll do a poll about which photo to redo?

    VastaaPoista

Lähetä kommentti

Suositut tekstit