Chocolate-never-get-it-right-chip-cookies


Although I wrote yesterday that I couldn't make cookies because I was lacking butter, I made them anyway in the end :D I just went to the store to buy some more butter and restocked on suryp sugar while I was at it.

Now the reason I had begged Darling to try and stop me from ever baking again (or actually to stop me by the time I was even thinking of ever baking again) is that my baking doesn't ever go the way it was supposed to go. It's no coincidence that my favourite dessert to make is white chocolate cheese cake: it's because it takes no actual baking to do. I can manage a little melting of white chocolate (at least on second try after I burn the first batch in the micro for being lazy), but anything involving an oven or more heating, I end up screwing up. One way or the other.



My usual screw-up though is forgetting a key ingredient. One of the first memories I have of making buns is of forgetting to add sugar to the dough. They ended up more like rocks than anything... And it's not just once that I've forgotten to buy eggs for a pie pastry. Now that I got this compulsion to make really good chocolate chip cookies, it's not going any better. The first batch I made from scratch, I forgot to buy cacao powder. I replaced it with more wheat flower  (and hence, didn't actually make chocolate cookies), and the cookies weren't as moist as I had wanted. This time, it was the butter I forgot, but since I had nothing to replace it with, I just sucked it p and went to buy it.

The other screw-up I'm no stranger to is mixing up the ratios. At first I settled for ready-made cookiemix, since I thought that there would be no way I could screw it up. :D Wrong! I didn't pay attention to the lines in my measuring cup and actually put in twice the amount of water needed... Tried to put in more wheat flower again, but the cookies just didn't hold together at all.

And if I manage to have all the ingredients and even mix them together as supposed, I can just always forget them in the oven. I had hoped that technology would save me from this basic screw-up but no, I still prevail over it! When I made the cookies last night, it was all coming up so nicely. I had two trays already made, all good and smelling tasty. Then I put in the third tray, setting up my phone's timer to alert me in 11 minutes, just like the two before it. I surf through my usual websites and after a while I check my phone to see how much time there is still left. And notice that it has never started the timer. So I rush to the oven, taking out a set of slightly burned cookies. Haven't tried them though so I dunno how much overtime they actually did. Since I had the timer, I never checked at what time I actually put them in :(

So the bottom line? Never eat anything I offer you without thorough scrutiny! :D

Kommentit

  1. Omg, I'm not alone with this! I'm probably worst baker in the world, so I really feel you in this one. ;w; Only way to me make something eatable is when someone is watching me! xD

    Was it last year when I baked everything to Spidey's birthday. My applepie tasted great, but got really badly stuck to the tray (not enoughh butter... <.<). I manage to ruin patch of chocolate squares to leaving them in oven for moment too long when chocolate instead of melting, broke to burned chocolate grumble. With cookies I wasn't thinking and melted he butter instead of just trowing it in, so they turned shiny and not the texture they where meant to be. And while baking buns, I didn't look carefully enough, and I realised too late that all the cardamom got stucked in to tube, so my buns didn't taste like anything. <.<; My lime-strawberry-quark-cookie cheesecake-like thingy turned out well. But it doesn't require actual baking. :D

    So that makes 2 of us! Though maybe I should see if I could make those chocolate squares to our next DnD... little om nom nom for whole crew. xD

    VastaaPoista

Lähetä kommentti

Suositut tekstit