White Laptop

Pastel

I hope you're not trying to replace me!

So I got my Rei II on Monday. Didn't much report on it, because today it was finally deemed usable by Valentine. Fyrd! But that laptop has given me such grief... First it was about the anxiety about getting the laptop that looked like the one I would want. but once I got it, I found out I maybe should've looked more into it...



I'm so out of loop of recent OS development, I just thought it was cool that Rei II had Windows 7, since I like that OS in work and on our main computer. What I didn't notice (or didn't think it'd be a problem) was that it was Windows 7 Starter. First problem (this actually tells a lot about me and the way I evaluate technology... but you should've known from the fact that I just had to have a white laptop...) I encountered was that I couldn't change the desktop image. At all. Fixed to a blue Windows flag. Forever. Of course a quick Google told me that this is indeed the case with Starter version of 7... There are ways around it but here was the next problem:

Rei II was sluggish as hell. It only had 1GB of RAM to start with, and over 80% of it was used up by OS alone. The best solution to my background image problem would have involved a constant running program, which would use up even more RAM. So now I was stuck with a laptop with a stupid screen and that couldn't run YouTube properly. I was very, very sad about this... Valentine got Rei II for me as a birthday present and I had been so adamant about getting a white one I forgo all other specs and didn't do my research. And now this very wonderful present seemed like it was a waste of money.

Luckily we gave it another chance. (Valentine was all ready to call the shop and demand a refund.) We did all the upgrades to the OS that were available and that freed up some RAM. Perhaps because of the upgrades themselves. Perhaps (even more probably) because Rei II was using up RAM to do the upgrades. It still isn't fast, but it's good enough. Valentine said that even he can live with the wait times now, and that man can be so very impatient at times...

Now I need to think whether to tackle that bg problem. I'm just that kind of a person to frequently change my bg and customize my devices.

... Maybe I shouldn't have ever called this Rei II. If I recall correctly, that clone had the shortest lifespan of the three Reis in Evangelion. And I even joked about this to Valentine before we picked it up... *headdesk* "Hahaa! Rei II died in about two episodes or so." Well, there's always Rei III, no?

Kommentit

Suositut tekstit